Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
GeneralWhat is Confluent Cloud?Who is Confluent Cloud for?Why should I use Confluent Cloud?What version of Apache Kafka® is run?How do I connect components to Confluent Cloud?What is the difference between fully managed and self managed components?
Getting StartedHow do I sign up for Confluent Cloud?How do I use Confluent Cloud?
SupportWhat are the different support offerings for Confluent Cloud plans?
Pricing & BillingHow is pricing calculated for Confluent Cloud?What is the pricing for fully managed components?Does the billing dashboard in Confluent Cloud show usage metrics in real-time?Can I pause or cancel my Confluent Cloud subscription?
Try FreeHow can I get up to $50 in free Confluent Cloud usage?How much can I get in free usage?What can I use the free usage on?What happens if I use less than $50 each month?As an existing Confluent Cloud user can I also get up to $50 free usage?After I sign up, how do I cancel my account?
What is Confluent Cloud?
Apache Kafka® as a service, Confluent Cloud delivers a resilient, scalable streaming service deployable in minutes. We’ll manage Kafka for you so that don’t have to deploy, upgrade and maintain. Confluent Cloud offers two cluster options:
- Standard: Start streaming in minutes with a real-time event streaming platform that provides Apache Kafka made serverless. There is no need to worry about pre-provisioning or managing a cluster, it elastically scales up to 100MBps to meet your workload demands and you only pay for what you use with consumption-based pricing.
- Dedicated: Stream without limits and with full confidence with a service designed to meet your specific event streaming needs. Dedicated setups offer the option to leverage VPC peering as a way to provide private networking connectivity between your clients and Confluent Cloud.
Who is Confluent Cloud for?
Confluent Cloud is the ideal streaming data service for engineering leaders, the DevOps-starved organization, agile and cloud-first developers on a mission and Kafka developers who want to build streaming applications.
Why should I use Confluent Cloud?
Confluent Cloud is the easiest way to harness the performance of an event streaming platform, saving you from having to manage your own Kafka brokers. You can stream data from your on-premises Confluent Platform to Confluent Cloud to build a hybrid cloud data pipeline. At the same time, you can stream data between public clouds and make your data available in real time across any cloud.
What version of Apache Kafka® is run?
Unlike proprietary services, Confluent Cloud offers the same open-source Kafka APIs that you know and love—giving you access to the vibrant Kafka ecosystem. Because Confluent Cloud was built by the original creators of Kafka, we’re always running the most up-to-date version.
How do I connect components to Confluent Cloud?
All Confluent Connectors are compatible with Confluent Cloud. For detailed instructions on how to connect Confluent Platform components (like Control Center, Kafka Connect, REST Proxy, KSQL, Schema Registry, etc.), see Connecting Components to Confluent Cloud.
What is the difference between fully managed and self managed components?
- Fully managed components are deployed, upgraded and maintained by Confluent. A fully managed component may be under one of the following release stages:
- Preview: Fully managed component is being introduced to gain early feedback from customers and is not recommended for production workloads. Confluent support not available.
- Production & General Availability: Fully managed components at this stage are production ready.
- Self managed components are deployed, upgraded and maintained by customer. Customers with Business support and above can request support for self managed components. Support in not included for self managed components that are available as fully managed components in production availability.
How do I sign up for Confluent Cloud?
You can sign up at https://www.confluent.io/confluent-cloud/#sign-up.
How do I use Confluent Cloud?
What are the different support offerings for Confluent Cloud plans?
With Confluent Cloud you are in expert hands. For 24x7 support you can add one of our support plans to your Confluent Cloud service. For more information about our plans visit our support page.
Pricing & Billing
How is pricing calculated for Confluent Cloud?
Pricing is based purely on consumption. There are no commitments, no upfront cost and you only pay for what you actually use. Usage will be calculated based on three metrics: data in (measured in GB), data out (measured in GB) and data stored (measured in GB-month). Pricing varies by cloud provider and region.
Consumption is measured via instrumentation within the hosted product, based on sampling at regular intervals. In the event that Confluent is unable to measure metrics, consumption will be calculated as zero for the impacted timeframe.
Pricing is based on write/read throughput, storage and availability requirements (single vs. multi-zone). For pricing information, please request a quote and one of our professionals will provide you with detailed pricing based on your requirements
What is the pricing for fully managed components?
For the most up to date pricing log in to your Confluent Cloud account. Before launching any fully managed service, the price for the specific component will be available in the UI. All fully managed components are free to use during the preview stage.
Does the billing dashboard in Confluent Cloud show usage metrics in real-time?
Accrued charges and usage summary in the Billing & Payment UI are not shown in real-time. Delays can be expected from the instrumentation that is used to calculate consumption. As such, accrued charges displayed in the UI at the end of the billing period may not be final due to late arriving data.
Can I pause or cancel my Confluent Cloud subscription?
- Standard setup has the option to go without commitment. In the event a user chooses to cancel service, Confluent will provide a final billing statement on the standard date after the end of the calendar month.
- Dedicated setup requires a subscription that can not be paused or put on hold. However, you can transfer your data from Confluent Cloud before deleting your cluster. For more information, see Connecting Components to Confluent Cloud.
How can I get up to $50 in free Confluent Cloud usage?
To get up to $50 off Confluent Cloud, you have to sign up for a Confluent Cloud account. Up to $50 will be automatically deducted from your monthly bill for the first three calendar months.
How much can I get in free usage?
You will get up to $50 per month deducted from your Confluent Cloud statement for the first three months. The calendar month at the time of signup will count as your first month.
What can I use the free usage on?
You get access to all of Confluent Cloud, including fully managed, Apache Kafka as a Service, and all other fully managed components such as Schema Registry, S3 Connector, and more.
What happens if I use less than $50 each month?
You will be billed $0 for the month. Any of the remaining $50 usage discount expires at the end of each calendar month. To see your balance for each month, please visit the Billing & payment in the Confluent Cloud UI after you have signed up.
As an existing Confluent Cloud user can I also get up to $50 free usage?
This promotion only applies to new signups.
After I sign up, how do I cancel my account?
You can email firstname.lastname@example.org to generate a support ticket. In the case that you used up all the credits, to prevent any charges from the time you send the email to the time the account is deleted, please be sure to stop all usage including writing, reading or storing data in Confluent Cloud.