Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
GeneralWhat is Confluent Cloud? Who is Confluent Cloud for? Why should I use Confluent Cloud? What cloud providers are supported? What version of Apache Kafka® is run? How do I connect components to Confluent Cloud? What ISN’T included in the Confluent Cloud service?
Getting StartedHow do I sign up for Confluent Cloud? How do I use Confluent Cloud?
SupportWhat kind of support is offered with Confluent Cloud plans?
PricingHow much does Confluent Cloud cost? Can I pause or cancel my Confluent Cloud account?
What is Confluent Cloud?
Apache Kafka® as a service, Confluent Cloud delivers a resilient, scalable streaming service deployable in minutes. We’ll manage Kafka for you so that don’t have to deploy, upgrade and maintain. Confluent Cloud offers two cloud plans:
- Confluent Cloud Enterprise is a streaming data service for all applications from development to production, with full enterprise capabilities such as service-level agreements (SLAs), security and virtual private cloud (VPC) peering.
- Confluent Cloud Professional is a streaming data service for projects under development, smaller organizations and applications. It offers the low latency of Kafka in addition to automatic upgrades, among other features, accelerating Kafka application development.
Who is Confluent Cloud for?
Confluent Cloud is the ideal streaming data service for engineering leaders, the DevOps-starved organization, agile and cloud-first developers on a mission and Kafka developers who want to build streaming applications.
Why should I use Confluent Cloud?
Confluent Cloud is the easiest way to harness the performance of an event streaming platform, saving you from having to manage your own Kafka brokers. You can stream data from your on-premises Confluent Platform to Confluent Cloud to build a hybrid cloud data pipeline. At the same time, you can stream data between public clouds and make your data available in real time across any cloud.
- Confluent Cloud Enterprise is proven to deliver 99.95% uptime, one of the highest in the industry. By leveraging the experience of Kafka’s original creators to maximize uptime and service levels, your Kafka system will run with best practices and always stay up-to-date with the latest Kafka version.
- Confluent Cloud Professional offers self-serve access to the rich Kafka ecosystem. Get up and running in minutes and discover hands-on how Confluent Cloud can meet all your streaming needs. Payment is flexible — pay monthly by credit card and cancel anytime.
What cloud providers are supported?
Confluent Cloud is currently available on Amazon Web Services and Google Cloud Platform — with more to come. Confluent Cloud is agnostic to its cloud platform, so you can “lift and shift” your Kafka applications from any location, in and out of Confluent Cloud. All of the infrastructure is based on open source components, allowing you to recreate your data pipelines outside of Confluent Cloud and migrate your pipelines at your discretion.
What version of Apache Kafka® is run?
Unlike proprietary services, Confluent Cloud offers the same open-source Kafka APIs that you know and love—giving you access to the vibrant Kafka ecosystem. Because Confluent Cloud was built by the original creators of Kafka, we’re always running the most up-to-date version.
How do I connect components to Confluent Cloud?
All Confluent Connectors are compatible with Confluent Cloud. For detailed instructions on how to connect Confluent Platform components (like Control Center, Kafka Connect, REST Proxy, KSQL, Schema Registry, etc.), see Connecting Components to Confluent Cloud.
What ISN’T included in the Confluent Cloud service?
Confluent Cloud is a fully managed streaming data service, but there are a few key differences between Confluent Cloud Enterprise and Confluent Cloud Professional plans:
- Confluent Cloud Enterprise offers Gold support with 24x7x365 access and 1-hour response time for critical problems from the Apache Kafka® experts. It also offers Multi AZ setup, VPC peering and 99.95% uptime SLA.
- Confluent Cloud Professional offers community support including documentation, access to our discussion forum and a one-day response rate to any questions submitted through our Contact Us form. It does not include Multi AZ, VPC peering, or SLA. A detailed comparison is available here.
How do I sign up for Confluent Cloud?
You can sign up at https://www.confluent.io/confluent-cloud/.
How do I use Confluent Cloud?
What kind of support is offered with Confluent Cloud plans?
With Confluent Cloud, you’re in expert hands.
- Confluent Cloud Enterprise offers Gold support with 24x7x365 access and 1-hour response time for critical problems from the Apache Kafka® experts. Submit a ticket through the Confluent Support portal or get Community Support.
- Confluent Cloud Professional offers a variety of options, including documentation, access to our community forum and a one-day response rate to any questions submitted through our Contact Us form. More details are available on our support page.
For general inquiries, please refer to our documentation.
How much does Confluent Cloud cost?
Pricing is based on write/read throughput, storage and availability requirements (single vs. multi-zone).
- Confluent Cloud Enterprise: For pricing information, please request a quote and one of our sales professionals will provide you with detailed pricing based on your requirements.
- Confluent Cloud Professional: Rates start at $0.55/hour. When you launch a cluster, the clock is started and you are charged at the listed hourly rate, according to your selected configuration. There is no upfront cost and you pay for only what you use. Cancel anytime.
Can I pause or cancel my Confluent Cloud account?
- Confluent Cloud Enterprise accounts can not be paused or put on hold. However, you can transfer your data from Confluent Cloud before deleting your cluster. For more information, see Connecting Components to Confluent Cloud.
- Confluent Cloud Professional accounts can be paused or canceled at any time. If you upgrade or downgrade your cluster(s), the hourly rate is adjusted while hours used are pro-rated to the minute.