Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
GeneralWhat is Confluent Cloud? Who is Confluent Cloud for? Why should I use Confluent Cloud? What version of Apache Kafka® is run? How do I connect components to Confluent Cloud? What is the difference between fully managed and self managed components?
Getting StartedHow do I sign up for Confluent Cloud? How do I use Confluent Cloud?
SupportWhat are the different support offerings for Confluent Cloud plans?
Pricing & BillingHow is pricing calculated for Confluent Cloud? Are fully managed components in preview really free? Does the billing dashboard in Confluent Cloud show usage metrics in real-time? Can I pause or cancel my Confluent Cloud subscription?
Try FreeHow can I get up to $50 in free Confluent Cloud usage? How much can I get in free usage? What can I use the free usage on? What happens if I use less than $50 each month? As an existing Confluent Cloud user can I also get up to $50 free usage? Is there a deadline to sign up for the $50/month off usage? After I sign up, how do I cancel my account?
What is Confluent Cloud?
Apache Kafka® as a service, Confluent Cloud delivers a resilient, scalable streaming service deployable in minutes. We’ll manage Kafka for you so that don’t have to deploy, upgrade and maintain. Confluent Cloud offers two cloud plans:
- Confluent Cloud provides an elastically scalable, cloud-native event streaming service. Through a self-service portal you can start streaming in minutes with no cluster sizing, no minimums, no upfront commitments, and you only pay for what you stream.
- Confluent Cloud Enterprise provides a data streaming service for all projects including mission-critical production apps. It includes capabilities such as unlimited streaming, service level agreements (SLAs), security and compliance.
Who is Confluent Cloud for?
Confluent Cloud is the ideal streaming data service for engineering leaders, the DevOps-starved organization, agile and cloud-first developers on a mission and Kafka developers who want to build streaming applications.
Why should I use Confluent Cloud?
Confluent Cloud is the easiest way to harness the performance of a streaming platform, saving you from having to manage your own Kafka brokers. You can stream data from your on-premises Confluent Platform to Confluent Cloud to build a hybrid cloud data pipeline. At the same time, you can stream data between public clouds and make your data available in real time across any cloud.
- Confluent Cloud offers self-serve access to the rich Kafka ecosystem. Get up and running in minutes and discover hands-on how Confluent Cloud can meet all your streaming needs. Payment is flexible — pay monthly by credit card and cancel anytime.
- Confluent Cloud Enterprise is proven to deliver 99.95% uptime, one of the highest in the industry. By leveraging the experience of Kafka’s original creators to maximize uptime and service levels, your Kafka system will run with best practices and always stay up-to-date with the latest Kafka version.
What version of Apache Kafka® is run?
Unlike proprietary services, Confluent Cloud offers the same open-source Kafka APIs that you know and love—giving you access to the vibrant Kafka ecosystem. Because Confluent Cloud was built by the original creators of Kafka, we’re always running the most up-to-date version.
How do I connect components to Confluent Cloud?
All Confluent Connectors are compatible with Confluent Cloud. For detailed instructions on how to connect Confluent Platform components (like Control Center, Kafka Connect, REST Proxy, KSQL, Schema Registry, etc.), see Connecting Components to Confluent Cloud.
What is the difference between fully managed and self managed components?
- Fully managed components are deployed, upgraded and maintained by Confluent. A fully managed component may be under one of the following release stages:
- Preview: Fully managed component is being introduced to gain early feedback from customers and is not recommended for production workloads. Confluent support not available.
- Production & General Availability: Fully managed components at this stage are production ready. Business support is included with Confluent Cloud Enterprise.
- Self managed components are deployed, upgraded and maintained by customer. Business support is included with Confluent Cloud Enterprise. Support is not included for self managed components available as fully managed in production availability.
How do I sign up for Confluent Cloud?
You can sign up at https://www.confluent.io/confluent-cloud/#sign-up.
How do I use Confluent Cloud?
What are the different support offerings for Confluent Cloud plans?
With Confluent Cloud and Confluent Cloud Enterprise you are in the hands of Kafka experts.
- Confluent Cloud offers a variety of options, including free access to our community documentation, forum and a one-day response rate to any questions submitted through our Contact Us form. More details are available on our support page.
- Confluent Cloud Enterprise includes Confluent Business support with 24x7x365 access and within 1-hour response time for P1 issues from the Apache Kafka experts. For access to a Technical Account Manager (TAM) and within 30 minutes response times for P1 issues, CCE customers have the option to add-on Confluent Premier support.
For general inquiries, please refer to our documentation.
Pricing & Billing
How is pricing calculated for Confluent Cloud?
- Confluent Cloud
Pricing is based purely on consumption. There are no commitments, no upfront cost and you only pay for what you actually use. Usage will be calculated based on three metrics: data in (measured in GB), data out (measured in GB) and data stored (measured in GB-month). Pricing varies by cloud provider and region.
Consumption is measured via instrumentation within the hosted product, based on sampling at regular intervals. In the event that Confluent is unable to measure metrics, consumption will be calculated as zero for the impacted timeframe.
- Confluent Cloud Enterprise
Pricing is based on write/read throughput, storage and availability requirements (single vs. multi-zone). For pricing information, please request a quote and one of our professionals will provide you with detailed pricing based on your requirements
Are fully managed components in preview really free?
Yes, all fully managed components are free to use during the preview stage so our customers can try them out and provide feedback for further improvements before being released into production availability.
Does the billing dashboard in Confluent Cloud show usage metrics in real-time?
Accrued charges and usage summary in the Billing & Payment UI are not shown in real-time. Delays can be expected from the instrumentation that is used to calculate consumption. As such, accrued charges displayed in the UI at the end of the billing period may not be final due to late arriving data.
Can I pause or cancel my Confluent Cloud subscription?
- Confluent Cloud is a no commitment, pay only for what you consume service. In the event a user chooses to cancel service, Confluent will provide a final billing statement on the standard date after the end of the calendar month.
- Confluent Cloud Enterprise subscriptions can not be paused or put on hold. However, you can transfer your data from Confluent Cloud before deleting your cluster. For more information, see Connecting Components to Confluent Cloud.
How can I get up to $50 in free Confluent Cloud usage?
To get up to $50 off Confluent Cloud, you have to sign up for a Confluent Cloud account. Up to $50 will be automatically deducted from your monthly bill for the first three calendar months.
How much can I get in free usage?
You will get up to $50 per month deducted from your Confluent Cloud statement for the first three months. The calendar month at the time of signup will count as your first month.
What can I use the free usage on?
You get access to all of Confluent Cloud, including fully managed, Apache Kafka as a Service, and all other fully managed components such as Schema Registry, S3 Connector, and more.
What happens if I use less than $50 each month?
You will be billed $0 for the month. Any of the remaining $50 usage discount expires at the end of each calendar month. To see your balance for each month, please visit the Billing & payment in the Confluent Cloud UI after you have signed up.
As an existing Confluent Cloud user can I also get up to $50 free usage?
This promotion only applies to new signups.
Is there a deadline to sign up for the $50/month off usage?
This promotion expires on December 31, 2019. Any signup up to this date will get access to the full 3 months of credit. For example, if you signed up on December 20th, you get $50 in usage credits for the months of December, January and February.
After I sign up, how do I cancel my account?
You can email firstname.lastname@example.org to generate a support ticket. In the case that you used up all the credits, to prevent any charges from the time you send the email to the time the account is deleted, please be sure to stop all usage including writing, reading or storing data in Confluent Cloud.